Sunday, February 8, 2009

A Very Long Awaited Update

Hi there,
Most of you haven't heard from me since December, some even longer than that, so I thought I'd make use of this long neglected server space and let all of you know what's been going on. When last I posted I was still living on Dane's couch. Well, since then I've spent nights in the park, on the trains, with a couple of friends, with the now ex-girlfriend, and eventually landed in a hostel. It's the largest hostel in the USA in fact. I started in their work exchange program in October. Honestly, this whole thing probably would have been impossible. I was working in the coffee bar of Jazz on the Park Hostel for a few months, and a little while back was moved into the position of events coordinator. Essentially the job entails getting people from all over the world together and making sure they have a good time. I can't really thing of a more perfect occupation for a guy like me. The only draw backs to this whole thing are that 1) I don't actually make any money. I just get a "free" place to stay. 2) I live in a room with 3 other guys that always smells like 4 guys live in it. 3) The management of the particular hostel I live in is absolutely ridiculous. However, I have since Xmas managed to get a couple of jobs that I not only love but are making me quite a bit more money. I get the feeling that within the next couple of weeks I will be able to move OUT of the hostel and into a place where if the room smells it's entirely my fault.

I must say that 2008 was a miserable year. It seems like left and right things were falling apart, and I couldn't seem to make sense of any of it. The only good things that came out of that year were some good times with Katherine, Rachael, Roscoe and a few others (I believe those of you from Ireland, Australia, and Cornwall know who you are), and the move to NYC. For a while, the NYC move seemed like a tremendous mistake. I was literally starving and living on the streets for a while. I would have days when escape seemed like the only sensible option. I have pushed through, and toward the end of 2008 things were not great but certainly looking up. I was home for Xmas for about a week, and as my return to NYC drew closer I was filled with both dread and hope in looking forward to the work that I knew was waiting for me back in the frozen city.

So far, 2009 has been amazing. I arrived back in the city with a new resolve and motivation to improve my situation as quickly as possible. First things first, Katherine and I finally decided to stop the on-again/0ff-again ridiculousness of our relationship. We broke things off completely, finally, and for the best for both. I hit the job hunt harder than ever, and in a very short time managed to land 2 positions that are proving not only lucrative but also fulfilling and challenging. The day job is with a company called Dialogue Direct. We do fund raising for the charity Children International. It pays well, I work with some amazing people, in a couple of months I get full benefits, and on top of it all I absolutely love the work. It is probably the most difficult work that I've ever done, but it is also the most rewarding. Knowing that I am actually making very positive changes in the lives of people who really need my help has made me able to do things for this job that I never would have attempted for others. My night job is still with Jazz planning events, but I have managed to expand it into a staff position at a night club called Pacha which is one of the largest night club management teams in the world, and connections with several bars and clubs in the city. As a result of my new connections, I have decided to put together my own night life promotions and events planning team. I have a few people already on board to get the company off of the ground. Now, it's just a matter of putting in the foot work to make more connections. Hopefully, in 6 months to a year I won't need a day job.

I have come to love New York. For a long time I had a longing to be in Alabama. I miss my family. I miss the weather. I had a very easy life in AL, and when things were more difficult here I was having a hard time justifying this move. Luckily, I am just stubborn and spitefull enough to think that if the city was going to put me through so much misery then I was not leaving until I got something good in return. My stubbornness is finally paying off. I love walking through the park and riding the trains. I love all of the languages and meeting new people every day. The city is intense in every way. The only thing that I still miss about Alabama is my family. I don't think most people realize how close I am to my family and how difficult it is to be away from them. We talk on the phone pretty frequently, but I still wish that I could make my weekly trip to my parents' house for family dinner. I miss sitting around the table and talking with all of them. Now that I'm making money I hope to be making frequent trips back, but the city has become home now. I am finally happy here.

The good news it that I have nothing but good news. To say the least, things are looking up. I hope that the next time I update this blog I will be doing so from my own computer in my own place and not from the front desk of the hostel. There are many of you that I miss dearly. Come visit me. As soon as I'm out of this place you will most definitely have a couch/floor/bed to crash on.

2 comments:

Ephemeral Sparrow said...

I'm so glad to hear things are looking up :)

M. da Silva said...

=) Good to know that things are good for you! Ih ih. When we really fight for things, they do happen. And the secret is to keep up the good energies around us, and when the bad do really hit us, just keep on pushing the good. Big kiss from Portugal! Millia*