Saturday, September 6, 2008

Keeping It Friendly

I usually try to start blogs out with a weird dream that I’ve had recently, but I haven’t been dreaming much since I had my tonsils out. I’ve been sleeping better, but I haven’t been dreaming. Maybe, they were my weird dream glands. I don’t think that many people have seen or talked to me since before the surgery. I’ll just say that if you are considering getting a couple of meat hunks cut out of the back of your throat, maybe you should find a less excruciating way to spend your time. It’s horribe. There’s really no way to overstate the pain. Don't do it.

Moving on.

Monday, 1 September 2008 I landed at La Guardia airport to start my new whatever this is going to be in New York City. I’m living in Washington Heights right now, way up on the west side. It’s pretty nice, gorgeous park, lots of Dominicans. It’s pretty much everything you could want. I’ve sold off almost everything I own so that this move would be as light and inexpensive as I could make it. I wound up with a 40 pound duffle bag full of clothes and sundries, and a 25 pound back pack full of books. Still, feel free to let me know if you want a recliner or a computer...

I’m not completely sure what I’m doing here. I just know that I wanted a change. I’ve been job hunting for the past couple of days. This city is exhausting. Walkingwalkingwalking... I have signed up with a few tallent agencies who do extras stuff. I’m sending resumes to people. I’d like to start a new band. Really, I’m just doing anything I can and seeing if something works. I’ve only been here 4 days, but if feels like I’ve been here longer. I need a job soon. I handed out a stack of resumes yesterday. I’ll take just about anything. I want to be able to live with more freedom, but for now I just want to pay the rent.

Today is laundry day. I don’t have much to wash, but I will be accompanying my incredibly gorgeous and tallented girlfriend to wash her things. She lives in Harlem about 50 blocks south of me. Not much English is spoken on her or my streets, but she speaks some Spanish. I’m glad that this is all we have planned for the day, because I don’t know that my legs would be very happy with another day of walking all over the city looking for jobs. We’ll start again Monday. For now, the laundry.

It rained like crazy last night, and we were soaked through by the time we made it to the train. The rain here tastes awful and stings your eyes. I must say that so far I don’t like this city as much as I like Alabama. It just isn’t as pretty of a place. I just hope that I am able to make the most of the opportunities that are here while I am here. I don’t know that I care whether I end up doing more acting, playing with a band, or promoting while I’m here. I like doing all of those things. I just don’t want to feel stuck the way that I did at times in Birmingham. The 8 to 5 grind just doesn’t seem right. A job isn’t supposed to be your whole life. When The Homos first started, the reason that I was so crazy all of the time was out of rebellion against the other half of my life, well that and I was finally free of the life I had lived in college. Eight to fiver. In for lifer. It’s a terrible way to live. If this NYC thing doesn’t work out in the next few years, I think I may try for a move to Italy. I can pick up Italian pretty quickly. I’m a smart guy. I already speak a little. I understand more. I may end up in grad school. All that I am sure of right now is that I am not interested in any more ruts. My whole time at college I stuck myself in a rut. I’ve done better since then, and hopefully I’m on my way to doing better still.

Anyway, this is the first of what will hopefully be numerous and frequent updates on what’s happening here with me. You know, the first episode is always nothing but set-up. Nothing fun really starts happening until later on. I hope everyone is feeling fat, sassy, and overjoyed. Until next time...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry that the walking is so much. And I can agree about the rain...there is nothing romantic about being wet in the city. Also, two thumbs up on the back up plan-moving to Italy seems pretty solid. :)

Life will be 24 hours instead of 8 to 5 there--I'm glad you made the move. I can dream about not being stuck in my suburban hell.